Learner Support

The New Zealand Qualifications System

FREEDOM Programme Calendar

Learner Programme Handbook

General Information

Freedom Institute of Higher Education has specific persons in the administration who specialise in learner support services. Whenever you are unsure of something and need advice or support contact the administration, our staff members will assist you with:

  • Accommodation
  • Finance
  • Personal problems
  • Career advice
  • Anything in regards to Freedom Institute of Higher Education procedures and policies.

At Freedom Institute of Higher Education, we want to hear from you whatever the problem is our personnel are willing to listen; if we cannot provide the solution we will refer you to experts who can help you. We will contact the external support agencies for you.
The Freedom Institute of Higher Education is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, this means that we agree to uphold the standards set out to recognise and meet the needs of all our enrolled international students, to protect your safety and well-being. International Students will receive a copy of the code and be briefed about the Code of Practice more in induction. 
At your induction we will discuss:coping with homesickness, settling-in information including how to access a local doctor, open a bank account , local and national transport to name a few.
It is however, important that you are aware that as a signatory to the Code of Practice international students must have at all times: 

Update us on contact information and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance.

External supports

New Zealand offers many welfare services; here is list of some of the key welfare organisations. If you do not find the kind of support service you need or need help in contacting these organisations contact any staff member they will assist you in finding the right service you need or in contacting these organisations for you.

Insurance Requirement

 By law, all students are required to have current travel and acceptable medical insurance covering the period of enrollment until the expiry of Student Visa.
Some providers of Medical Insurance Include:
Southern Cross:
International Student


Health Insurance
Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at www.moh.govt.nz

Accident Insurance
The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at www.acc.co.nz

Medical & Travel Insurance
International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

Immigration Requirement
Students enrolled will not be considered current students and will not have access to the Institute and resources until the time they submitted their student visa/permit stating legal eligibility to study at the Freedom Institute of Higher Education.
Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at www.immigration.govt.nz

Extra English Language Supports
Students finding they need or wish for extra English Language education will have available expert one to one or small group sessions at discounted rates. This support can be organised by contacting the Learner Support Manager at any point in time.